Sunday, April 7, 2013

Essential Tank Tops

Several weeks ago I started craving some simple tank top additions after being inspired by another blogger's  use of Simplicity 2599.  I even rushed out to buy some brightly colored drapey fabrics that I thought would work well in making tanks. (blogged about here)  I finally got around to making two of them, but decided to switch patterns. I'd used McCall's 5977  several years ago and felt it would be a better fit for me now.
 Who can't make a simple tank - right???  Well, I certainly can; but felt there was just a little something missing in mine even though it's a really simple design.  I decided to watch Peggy Sagers webcast "All about Tops" and was able to pick up the following simple tips that made my tank top even better than before:
  •  how to adjust the shoulder seam for a better armhole fit
  •  how to adjust center front to eliminate gaping at the neckline
  •  how to insert a tiny self-binding at the neckline that is more like upscale RTW
Maybe these were things I should have already known, but I didn't.  For me sewing is all about continual learning in the quest for better fit.

This tank in the closest thing I could find to Pantone's African Violet spring color.  Not sure if you can see my tiny neck binding, but I really love the fact that it's so small.  Peggy Sagers suggests using a self binding that is no wider than 1", and if I can remember correctly, it does not need to be cut on the bias. My pattern piece for the neck binding was 1 1/2" wide.  Using the smaller width gave me the finished look that I am really pleased with.   She also suggests that the binding begin and end at the left shoulder as does it does in most RTW garments. 

This tank is Army Green, although not a Pantone spring color for this year.  But it's one of   my favorite colors (for some reason).  For this top I did adopt an element from Lula Louise, the rounded baseball style hem.  I just think it's cute.  I used a dinner plate to get my curve edge and it worked out just right.
 I want to do some more (playing around) with this simple pattern.
  •  adding a tiny pocket
  •  rotating the bust darts to the bottom hem
  •  adding side slits
Just a few ideas because I do like playing around with pattern design...

5 comments:

  1. Your tops are fabulous, Faye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with L - Faye, where do you find the time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These top's collection are truly gorgeous and charming as well.It's Really a productive step in ladies tank tops . It's good to give how know about ladies wears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In addition to our striking range of Polo t-shirts, we have designed an enthralling wholesale range of graphic tee that reflects the spirit of the modern age. Buy your favorite graphic t-shirt at Apparel4print. Wholesale Graphic Tees

    ReplyDelete