Sunday, June 23, 2013

JUST A LITTLE HELPFUL TIP...

...about
Needle threading...

You may already know this, but just in case you don't...

Although I wear prescription glasses I sometimes still have trouble threading my machine and hand needles.  I use these two little tricks that you might find helpful too:

1)  you know how we always wet the thread?, well it also helps to wet the needle too.  With both the thread and the needle being wet - the needle acts a little like a magnet drawing the thread to it.  I once shared this bit of information with a friend and she said YUK!!!  What can I say, it works.

2) when threading machine needles try the white paper trick.  I cut little strips of white index cards (use the solid lineless side (strips cut 1/2" wide and 2 1/2" long just to make it easy to handle).  Wet the thread (holding in left hand) and direct it toward the needle while holding the white paper in your right hand behind the needle.  The white paper just makes it SOOOOO EASY to actually see the needle hole. I promise this will help.  I keep a little stack of  the paper strips them on my sewing table within easy reach because can you imagine just how many needles I thread...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Faye - holding black paper behind the needle for threading white thread works too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wax the thread instead of wetting it. It doesn't have the problem wetting does, where the thread tries to unwind itself.

    ReplyDelete