Friday, October 18, 2013

A Knit Skirt from the Stash

I fell in love with the idea of this skirt when  Sheila of Sheila-CTK posted this picture in early September.
The picture started me thinking about a yard of fabric that I had left over from this dress that I made back in August
 I decided to use 
McCall's 6654 knit pencil skirt pattern that I tried last fall with good success. I underlined the pattern pieces (there were only two) by hand basting tricot down the center and the side seams to give the fabric a little more body.  It took me two nights to hand stitch the pressed open side seams because I didn't want them flapping around and bunching up after washing.
I wanted to emphasize the fabrics pretty turquoise stripe and was able to do so with this twin set in the exact color.  I couldn't decide on the skirt length, but went ahead and put it at mid calf because you know I plan on wearing it with boots.  I figure if this lengths not right - I can always cut if off shorter.
I may or may not wear this belted (or I might try a thinner belt) -  I just wanted to see how it looked. I owe my inspiration for the skirt to Sheila.

7 comments: